[daip] Re: Mac Aips question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 16 10:52:12 EST 2004

Wes Young writes:
 > My guess is you need to configure it as a laptop, i.e. use localhost as
 > the computer's name.  Eric will know for sure.

 > On Mar 15, 2004, at 10:19 PM, Kevin Marvel wrote:
 >
 > > Wes,
 > >
 > > I got everything installed and now seemingly have the standard TV
 > > errors
 > > despite the proper
 > > entries in my /etc/services file:
 > >
 > > XASSEVERS: Start XAS on kevin-marvels-computer, DISPLAY
 > > kevin-marvels-computer:0
 > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for
 > > kevin-marvels-computer:

     It appears that the internet is not recognizing the string

kevin-marvels-computer

or maybe aips does not allow such long strings.
To make yourself into a "laptop"

cd $AIPS_ROOT
edit HOSTS.LIST adding LOCALHOST as a Mac computer at your site
edit LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH to change LAPTOP from NO to YES
cd DA00
edit DADEVS.LIST and NETSP making LOCALHOST_n entries exactly
     corresponding to your current entries
ln -s KEVIN-MARVELS-COMPUTER LOCALHOST (assuming that the KE...
     directory actually exists

also link LOCALHOST to your current data areas using

cd ../DATA
ln -s KEVIN-MARVELS-COMPUTER_1 LOCALHOST_1
ln -s KEVIN-MARVELS-COMPUTER_2 LOCALHOST_2
ln -s KEVIN-MARVELS-COMPUTER_3 LOCALHOST_3

assuming that the data areas are now based in $AIPS_ROOT/DATA at least
via links.

 > > also:
 > > SMSGDK: OPER=READ LUN=12 NREC=1
 > > MSGWRT ERROR 1000 at OPEN

There is a message file for whatever user number you are using but it
contains 0 bytes - delete it.  You will find it in the first data area
with name

MSDuuu000,uuu;

where uuu is the user number in extended Hex (base 36).