[daip] AIPS

Glenn Morrison morrison at ipac.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 5 02:25:02 EST 2004

Hi Eric,

I will be moving to Tucson and working for NOAO. They have (or will
have)  the following system and I was wondering if it will run AIPS.
Please let me know your opinion or if you need additional info to make
an assessment.

-Thanks

--Glenn

One thing I'm thinking about doing is assembling a modest cluster of

Linux machines with lots of disk space, linked by a fast ethernet

back plane.  We have something like that in Balto for GOODS and

it's been very useful.  I talked a bit to the NOAO computer guy,

Steve Grandi, and he's very comfortable setting up and supporting

things like this - quite a few other groups have done this at NOAO.

I'd very much welcome your help planning this system, so that we'll

have whatever we/you need.  That can be the main computing

engine, with maybe 4-5 nodes, each dual processors, and a lot

of disk space.

Re AIPS - the system we built at STScI isn't really a "cluster"

in any architectural sense, just a bunch of fast PCs co-located in

a rack with fast connections between them.  I'd imagine that AIPS

will work on this but we'll make sure it does.