[daip] Problem with LISTR

David Titterington djt at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 10:55:13 EDT 2004

Dear AIPS,

A user reports recent problems with the behaviour of LISTR in the 31DEC04
release of AIPS, which is being updated regularly via the midnite job:

> Trying to run LISTR (with OPTYPE='SCAN', to list the scans in a UV dataset)
> gives this message (in the main window, not the message window):
>
> >go listr
> > ZTTYIO: INVALID NCHARS =   0
> >AIPS 1: Resumes
> >AIPS 1: RETURN CODE      1 RECEIVED: STOPPING
>
> when trying to write to the screen, whereas writing to a file
> gives no error, but has only the odd character at the beginnings
> of lines, as per printout.

Further tests show the same behaviour for another user, another dataset:

----------
>docrt 0
>go
LISTR1: Task LISTR  (release of 31DEC04) begins
LISTR1: ZLPOPN: printer file = /tmp/ZLPOPN.a19099
AIPS 1: Resumes
>LISTR1: request id is oki-744 (1 file)
LISTR1: Messages sent to the Oki Microline dot matrix printer
LISTR1: a child process will delete /tmp/ZLPOPN.a19099 in 300 seconds
LISTR1: Appears to have ended successfully
LISTR1: mraosv       31DEC04 TST: Cpu=       0.1  Real=       1

>docrt 1
>go
LISTR1: Task LISTR  (release of 31DEC04) begins
 ZTTYIO: INVALID NCHARS =   0
LISTR1: MATXUV: ERROR    2 DOING I/O TO TERMINAL
LISTR1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
LISTR1: mraosv       31DEC04 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
AIPS 1: Resumes
AIPS 1: RETURN CODE      1 RECEIVED: STOPPING

where in the case of output to a file, only the initial letter of each line
is printed.

Is this a known problem with the current version of AIPS?

Many thanks,
David Titterington,

Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory,
Cavendish Laboratory,