[daip] crashed command line parser

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 16 10:46:11 EDT 2004

Frank Briggs writes:

 > A graduate student here logged out of X-windows while
 > AIPS was still running (by clicking the Logout button)... when
 > he came back to work again, he found that his AIPS environment is
 > corrupted.  All commands are greeted by "AIPS 1: SYMBOL?"
 >
 > for example:
 > >free
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       FREE
 > >mcat
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       MCAT
 > >help
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       HELP
 >
 > I believe I have seen this before (years ago), but I don't remember how to
 > fix it. Searching the AIPS documentation hasn't brought any joy.

I have got to add this to the FAQ!

The user's LASTEXIT SAVE/GET file has been corrupted.  I have added
code to aips (31DEC04) to try to detect some of this - maybe I can do
a better job on that.  In the mean time - the LASTEXIT file is in the
first data area and is named

SGDuuu001.uuu\;

If you delete this file, then the program will load a new vocabulary
and all will be well.   uuu is the user number in extended HEX (base
36).