[daip] WCS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:16:56 EDT 2004

Ian Pattison writes:
 > I wish to load some data into aips which are in the ZPN (Zenithal
 > Polynomial) projection, so that I can overlay it with my radio data. The
 > data are from the INT Wide-field survey. AIPS doesn't seem to like this
 > format at all, and I wondered if there is any solution to this problem.

I wish there were a solution.  AIPS has been supposed to be replaced
by aips++ "any month now" for about 12 years.  As a consequence, I
have been reluctant to tear apart large parts of working code for an
upgrade that no user (except now you) would see (except for all the
mistakes I would inevitably make).  The WCSlib package would be nice
to install underneath aips - it is in other packages such as aips++ -
so there may be some version of HGEOM or OHGEO in those packags that
would let you regrid into one of the old standard projections.

I can't see myself taking the 6 months or whatever a replacement WCS
would take in aips.  I would like to but there are so many things that
give real added capability and there is only me to work on them.

Sorry,