[daip] Re: I have a question for UVCON.

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Jun 11 10:45:25 EDT 2004

Tae-Hyun, Jung, Hi,

>I have been doing some simulations for KVN with UVCON so far.
>It works very well and I am very appreciate your help that you gave me for
>doing that.

Thanks

>In case of Geodetic (Col. 1), I wonder what conversion factor is
>appropriate.

First of all: what is the conversion factor is for?

Historically VLA antenna positions was given (at the
obsolete files in time (nanosec) required the light to pass the
relevant distance. Antenna diameters could be given in feets.
UVCON uses meters for both antenna position and diameter.
Now practiaclly always both antenna position and diameter are in meters.
So practically in all cases you need to use the conversion factors (line 3)
1,1

When I have a look your UVCON source program,
>I could not get information about Geodetic conversion factor.
>I only found the message "Do not use the conversion factor if position is
>given in LAT, LONG, ALT" from the Comment.
>Does it mean that setting the LINE 3 as a  (0, 1)?

When geodetic coordinate system is used (col1=2), then UVCON recalculates LAT,
LON, ALT to the equatorial coordinate in meters and conversion factor
is not used at all for antenna position.
The comment "Do not use..." is not good. Actually it should be:
"the conversion factor is forced to 1 if position is
 given in LAT, LONG, ALT"

>I have a problem with first conversion factor. Some comments at the
>subroutine GETANT give me an example for that , for example
>"if the station coordinates are in nanoseconds and the antenna diameters are
>in feet, then the two factors that need to be supplied
>are 0.2997924562 (approximately) and 0.3048 (exactly)". I can understand the
>0.3048 value for FEET to METER conversion but
>I cannot understand the value 0.29997924562.

The light passes 0.2997924562 meters for the time of 1 nanosec.
So the conversion factor from nanosec to meters is 0.2997924562

>So, I wish to know how to set  the conversion factor at LINE 3 in case of
>Geodetic (Col. 1 = 2).
>( I know LAT, LONG, ALT for antenna stations and METERs for each antenna
>diameter)

Any number for the first conversion factor (antenna position),
One (1) for the antenna diameter if it is given in meters.

>I would really like to say to you "Thank you very much !!" Whenever I asked
>you about the UVCON, you gave me a lot of help.
>Thank you very much again. And I wish to hear from you.

Thank you very much

Leonid Kogan