[daip] DISPLAY trouble

Charles Padgett c13 at gl.umbc.edu
Wed Jun 9 11:41:50 EDT 2004

Hello,
   My name is Alex Padgett, I am a graduate student at the University of
Maryland, Baltimore County. We recently upgraded several of our machines
from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 1. Since the upgrade (our AIPS installation
is on a network disk), we are getting errors about not being able to open
the display. AIPS seems to be setting the display name to <hostname>:0 .
Now I am not sure if this is a problem with the way AIPS tries to figure
out where to open the display, or if it is a problem with our X11
configuration. I believe that all of our configuration files from our
previous Redhat 9 distributions were properly restored, but I could be
missing something. My main question is this - is there a way to force the
display to be ":0.0", instead of <hostname>:0, because even if I try to
run something as simple as an xterm using DISPLAY=<hostname>:0 it will
fail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex Padgett
c13 at umbc.edu