[daip] Site Altitudes

Miller, Bruce F * (BMILLER) BMILLER at arinc.com
Wed Jul 21 17:01:49 EDT 2004

Dear NRAO Staffers,

May we have the altitudes in meters and/or feet of each of the NRAO VLBA
sites which are not provided on your web sites?  These include:

    - Owens Valley, CA.

    - N. Liberty, IA

    - Hancock, NH

    - Los Alamos, NM

    - Pie Town, NM

    - Ft. Davis, TX

    - Brewster, WA.

    - Mauna Lea, HI

    - St. Croix, VI

The reason for the request is that ARINC, Inc.(see www.arinc.com
<http://www.arinc.com> ) has applied to the Federal Communications
Commission for a license to operate airborne mobile earth stations in the
Fixed Satellite Service band (14.0 - 14.5 GHz).  To properly protect NRAO
sites we are entering into an agreement to cease transmitting when
approaching line-of-sight to your active observatory sites.  While we have
the exact coordinates of those sites, we need to account for their
elevations in order to provide proper protection for lower observatory look
angles.

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer in this matter.

Sincerely,

Bruce Miller
Consulting Engineer
SKYLink Project