[daip] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: IMEAN and noise]]

Glenn Morrison morrison at noao.edu
Tue Jul 20 21:12:11 EDT 2004

  Further question Eric....

--Glenn

>  > 2) Does it assume that all the pixel are independent, that there
> exists
>  > no correlation between individual pixels?
>
>     The shape of the histogram is unaffected by independence of
> pixels so the fit width is independent of that.  The independent part
> comes in when you integrate.

This makes me think that part of the issue comes down to the
units of the image.  In the headers, the flux unit is given as follows:

BUNIT   = 'JY/BEAM '           /Units of flux

Can you tell me what this means?  What is assumed (or known)
about the beam, and how is this used when one measures the
flux density of a source?  I suspect that if I understand this, I may
then understand why the pixel correlations don't matter.

	Thanks,

		Mark