[daip] Re: aips question for xeon run

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 14 10:05:11 EDT 2004

Anuj Sarma writes:

 > I have a quick question for you. I am buying a new computer for my research.
 > Since the computer will primarily be used for AIPS, I was wondering if there
 > are any issues with Intel Xeon processors vis a vis AIPS that I should be
 > aware of, mainly, does aips install and run without any hiccups on Intel Xeon
 > processor-based machines?
 >
 > I looked up on the website, and there were DDT results but they claim to be
 > for Intel PIII Xeon processors, which got me a little confused, because I
 > thought Pentium and Xeon were different, but I may have misread something.

I am not sure - I think Xeon is a modification of a basic chip design
and so current Xeons are PIV like while previous ones were PIII like.

There is no issue about Xeon chips.  The only issues we are seeing and
they are mostly worries rather than known issues are with the latest
operating systems (RedHat 9 now being gone but that is what we use)
and compiler revisions (some GNU 3.3.x have had reported failures and
an issue we worked around showed up with the latest fedora kernels).

ERic Greisen