[daip] verb request

Walter Brisken wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Jul 1 10:49:23 EDT 2004

I would like a verb that takes as input :

Verb GETADV  -- Gets an adverb from a text file

INFILE  (Name of input file)
LINENUM (The line of INFILE to read)
ADVERB  (A string containing the name of an adverb)

Possibly LINENUM and ADVERB could be arrays allowing multiple values to be
set with one call of this VERB.  Note that if ADVERB is an array type, it
would interpret the line just as POPS does.

The result of this would be to set the value of ADVERB (whichever one it
is) to the contents of INFILE line LINENUM.  This could be used as a very
general way to take input from external files from within scripts.  The
particular use I have in mind is to run PRTAN saving the output to a file,
using SYSTEM to run my program fixstations.py which would produce a file
with antenna position corrections and then loop over antennas using GETADV
to set inputs for CLCOR.  I would package this up as an AIPS procedure to
correct antenna locations.

Note that for this to be useful it must be a VERB, not a task, I think.

-Walter