[daip] wierdness in CLSMO

Michael Bietenholz michael at polaris.phys.yorku.ca
Thu Jan 29 18:07:42 EST 2004

I think something may be slighlty garbled in CLSMO (31DEC04), with the
pointers to the rate and delay columns exchanged, but also the rate
and delay smoothing times.  It winds up doing the right thing in the
end.  However, its most confusing when you try and write a different
program on the basis of CLSMO, because the variable names wind up
being very misleading, ie. RA1KOL refers to the _delay_ column etc.

I don't know if this affects any other programs

-----details-------------------------------------

In CLSUV

  SMOTIM(1,3) is XIPARM(3) is smoothing time for Rates
  SMOTIM(1,4) is XIPARM(4) is smoothing time for Delay

But, then in CLSMTH, according to comments in the header
  C      SMOTIM   R(3,4) Function times (support, FWHM, cutoff) (days)
  C                         1=ampl, 2=phase 3 = delay 4=rate

**note that smoothing times for rate,delay have been exchanged!

What appears also to have been exchanged so it all works out right
is RA1KOL and DEL1KOL - again in CLSMTH, at the top,

      EQUIVALENCE (KOLS(1), TIMKOL), (KOLS(2), SOUKOL),
     *   (KOLS(8), DL1KOL), (KOLS(9), RA1KOL),

Yet in most other programs, and in the actual tables, the rate column that comes first,
and then the delay.  I think they are just switched

           michael bietenholz