[daip] ERROR MESSAGE starting AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 29 11:47:06 EST 2004

Ian Pattison writes:
 > After entering my ID number to start up AIPS, I get the following message:
 >
 > AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 27 NREC =       65
 > AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 65537 THRU = 66560 BEYOND EOF = 65536
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
 > AIPS 1: DISK PROBLEM   CODES:       3      0
 >
 > I was using AIPS quite happily only this morning.
 >
 > Any suggestions.

Something has gone wrong with your save/get directory or LASTEXIT file
(did you say exit and then do a Ctrl-C?).

cd to your first data area

ls -l SG*

one of the files will be 65536 bytes long - that is the damaged one.
The directory is called

        SGDuuu000.uuu;

where uuu is your user number in extended hex.  It is not usually
65536 bytes long.  The others are SAVE/GET files and should all be
562176 bytes long.  Delete the bad one and start aips over again.