[daip] Re: Overflights NE of the VLA

Jeff Uphoff juphoff at nrao.edu
Sat Jan 24 09:07:09 EST 2004

[Note: Pat Murphy forwarded this to me, and he was correct on both his
guesses: I'm interested, and I know Richard, albeit only via e-mail.]

Hi Richard!

> I'm a volunteer pilot for Lighthawk,

Angel Flight Wing Leader, Lighthawk pilot...goodness, you're busy!

> The flight would take us rather close to the NRAO buildings, although
> the property is completely north of U.S. Hwy 60, and just NE of the VLA
> center. I recognize that there are no official flight restrictions over
> the VLA, but would nevertheless like to present a minimum of disruption
> to your operations (preferably none).
> Please let me know if you anticipate if our flight 500-1000 feet above
> the surface just NE of the VLA center would disrupt your operation. The
> flight would be conducted between 10 and 11 AM next Tuesday, January 27,
> would probably last about 30 to 45 minutes. If you like I can supply you
> with my aircraft type and registration number.

Before I moved to Virginia from Socorro, I made routine pleasure flights
of this sort as Dawn Patrols.  During said flights, I did two things:

- I avoided flying across what I perceived to be the beam of the
  telescope, as best as I could determine it based upon the direction
  the antennas were pointed.

- I minimized my RF radiation.  Notably, the airborne DME interrogation
  pulse can be problematic (NRAO note: though I believe this is
  primarily true with eVLA), so I always flew with my DME turned off.
  Technically, FAA regulations precluded turning off my transponder,
  but I tended to do that as well, as there's no radar coverage down low
  out there anyway.  I didn't have any other actively radiating
  avionics; not sure how you're equipped...

--Up, off on another Angel Flight come Wednesday!

--
Jeff Uphoff
N3655H, '83 Mooney M20K/231 @ KCHO