[daip] aips remote tape problem

Shami Chatterjee schatter at aoc.nrao.edu
Sun Jan 18 16:48:02 EST 2004

Hi,

I've been having problems reading a DDS3 remotely from Scorpion - I've
tried tape drives on Hamal and Zaurak (DDS4 drives) as well as Tesuque
(DDS3)  and get the same error. Finally, I'm able to read it from
Parallax with Mizar's tape drive, but the circumstances are strange.

All messages are in my message window, unless specified:

ssh tesuque, start aips on it to get the TPMONs going:
tesuqu> TPMON1: Begins on 2004.01.18 00:19:02
tesuqu> TPMON2: Begins on 2004.01.18 00:19:02
tesuqu> TPMON3: Begins on 2004.01.18 00:19:02

On scorpion, issue a mount command (remhost tesuque, remtap 2, intape 2)
tesuqu> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
tesuqu> TPMON3: Mounted on DAT tape drive HP      C1537A on local host

Don't understand the msgwrt error. Then run FITLD: it puts out the
following in the command (not message) window:

ZVTPO2: MALFORMED NAME
ZVTPO2: FROM aipsmt0:

and in the message window:

scorpi> FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC04) begins
scorpi> FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   2
scorpi> FITLD1: ZTPOPR: ZVTPO2 RETURNS ERROR CODE      2
scorpi> FITLD1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR   2 TO
scorpi> FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   2 OPENING FILE
scorpi> FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
scorpi> FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
scorpi> FITLD1: scorpion     31DEC04 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

This happened in all 3 cases (Hamal, Zaurak, Tesuque).

Using aips new on scorpion, I get
mount:
hamal > MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
hamal > TPMON3: Mounted on ANSI SCSI 2 tape on local host

fitld: no message in cmd window, but
scorpi> FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC03) begins
scorpi> FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   1
hamal > TPMON3: ATPOPN: CLIENT LUN = 31 NOT RIGHT FOR DRIVE  1
scorpi> FITLD1: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE     99
scorpi> FITLD1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR  99 TO
scorpi> FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR  99 OPENING FILE
scorpi> FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
scorpi> FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
scorpi> FITLD1: scorpion     31DEC03 NEW: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

This I sort of understand, based on what I've heard from you.

Hope this helps,
Shami