[daip] 31DEC03 and ssh problem

Hardip Sanghera hss at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 15 11:36:28 EST 2004

Hi,
  I just recently installed AIPS 31DEC03 (last install was 15OCT99).
Its meant for use by a number of different machines on our Solaris
cluster, all of which are on Solaris 9.
After the installation I added my own Solaris desktop as an aips host
(via SYSETUP), a data disk which it serves for the catalogue, a DDS 3 DAT
drive and a local network printer. When I log in at the console I have no
problem with running aips and get both the tv and msg servers come up. I
successfully read FITS files from a tape on the DAT drive etc.
However, when I log into my desktop remotely I get neither the tv and msg
servers - this is what it says:

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called
START_AIPS: Checking if  is reachable via ssh...
START_AIPS: Cannot start remote TV servers on , sorry!
START_AIPS: remote command gave this error:
ssh: echo: host/servname not known
START_AIPS: check your secure shell setup, in particular
START_AIPS: whether you have a passphrase enabled.  You may
START_AIPS: wish to try 'ssh -v  pwd' to see
START_AIPS: what the problem is.
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on CASS136 asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC03) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are NOT assigned a TV device or server
AIPS 1: You are NOT assigned a graphics device or server
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number

At this point I can get into AIPS and at least see my disk catalogue.
Can you help me with regard to the TV server problem?

For your information, our systems run Solaris 9 with NIS+ as the naming
service. We also switched in Solaris 9 from using OpenSSH to SUN's won
version of ssh (SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0).

cheers,
hardip

Hardip S. Sanghera  (hss at ast.cam.ac.uk)

Institute of Astronomy                   Phone (office): 44 (0)1223 766663
Madingley Road                                      Fax: 44 (0)1223 337523
Cambridge CB3 0HA
United Kingdom