[daip] Re: AIPS installation problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 12 12:00:30 EST 2004

Nectaria Gizani writes:
 > 	Hello,
 >
 > I have been trying to install AIPS (as a root) at my PC running linux 9.
 > My pc has a connection with the internet via modem (I don't understand
 > the problem with NIS).

           You should never run as root while dealing with AIPS -
other than when installing certain system services.  Most of the
problems below come from files and directories owned by root and
inaccessible to nectaria.  Probably the quickest way to fix this is to
log in a root - having determined your group id - and do

    cd $AIPS_ROOT
    chgrp -rf <your_gid> *
    chown -rf nectaria *

   From our aips manager FAQ page

Problems with the TV, message, TEK and tape servers

The instructions to change your /etc/services file are often
overlooked. The Inet versions of XAS with its TVSERV lock daemon,
MSGSRV, and TEKSRV all require that predictable node numbers be
reserved for them. The remote tape services also require these and do
not offer a UNIX (non-network socket) option. In both cases, if you
need to communicate between two computers (or more), the following
must be installed in your /etc/services (or YP services):

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4
aipsmt5         5015/tcp        AIPSMT5
aipsmt6         5016/tcp        AIPSMT6
aipsmt7         5017/tcp        AIPSMT7

You do not need to install all the tape services unless you have a
large number of tape devices on some computer.

The above you must do as root.

 > I am trying to run AIPS as a user with login name: nectaria
 >
 > However I get the following messages, although I get an AIPS TV and
 > TKSERVER:
 >
 > [nectaria at localhost nectaria]$ ~aips/START_AIPS tv=local

    I build a
       source $AIPS_ROOT.LOGIN.CSH
or
       . $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH
into my login.  Then you only need say aips.

 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /home/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
 >    Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
 >
 > Tape assignments:
 >    Tape 1 is (no description provided by installer yet) on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 2 is (no description provided by installer yet) on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 3 is (no description provided by installer yet) on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 4 is (no description provided by installer yet) on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 5 is floppy on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 6 is CDRW on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 7 is (no description provided by installer yet) on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 8 is (no description provided by installer yet) on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 9 is DVD on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 10 is (no description provided by installer yet) on LOCALHOST
 >    Tape 11 is REMOTE
 >    Tape 12 is REMOTE

   This is a lot of "tapes" - do you really have 7 magnetic tape
devices (DATs and Exabytes) on your computer?  Note that floppy, CDRW,
and DVD are not supported by aips as sequential devices - they are
really disks and might work as such in AIPS although I doubt it.

 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
 > START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST

        LOCALHOST is usually used for laptops - again raising the
question about magnetic tape devices.  But I worry that you did not
use it right.  Go to $AIPS_ROOT and look at LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH.
Do they say LAPTOP is "YES"?  They should.

 > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
 > START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
 >  ZMSGER: ON FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;
 >  ZMSGER: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)

presumably owned by root not you

 > ZDCHI1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
 > ZDCHI1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)

root not you

 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1142 764, max grey level 255
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***

   This looks good - it is usually a proplem so this is excellent.

 > AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger

   The difference in case above (localhost vs LOCALHOST) suggests that
LAPTOP is not set YES in the LOGIN files and causes some confusion
here.

 > ?STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
 > STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON2 with output SUPPRESSED
 > STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON3 with output SUPPRESSED
 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt1 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt2 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

The remote tape jobs require network services in /etc/services but
only for those real tapes (and aipsmt0 for pseudo-tape disk) - You
told it 12 devices so there are 13 such errors.

 > STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMONA with output SUPPRESSED
 > /home/aips/31DEC03/SYSTEM/UNIX/STARTPMON: line 280: TPMON10: command not found

      We (aips itself) may have an error here.  We have not worked
properly for > 9 tapes although we have just changed thing to try to
function properly.

 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:ACD000000;
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 > AIPS 1: ACCOUNT: OPEN ERROR      6

 > AIPS 1: ZCREA2: ERROR OPENING SPACE LOCK FILE = DA01:SPACE
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZCREA2 ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 > AIPS 1: ZCREA2: ERROR OPENING SPACE LOCK FILE = DA01:SPACE

 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA01:CAD000000.00K;
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZCREA2 ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 > AIPS 1: CATCR: CREATE CATLG ON VOL 1 ERROR      4

You do not own the data directories and have no write permission so
cannot make catalogs and data files etc.

 > I don't see why it crashes because of a TAPE problem...I have give in a
 > casual manner the names CDRW, etc...for the TAPE DRIVES as I don't have a
 > DAT drive. As soon as I give an AIPS number, I am thrown out from the
 > program!

      If you have no magnetic tape devices then
$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/TPDEVS.LIST should be empty.  All AIPS data
read/writing tasks (FITLD, FITTP, FILLM etc) can read data from disk
as well as tape.

        It is not the tape errors that give you trouble - it is the
fact that you have no permission to write on the data directories.

 > If I try to run AIPS as a root I get the following error messages, while
 > I get a TV and TEKserver:

     Please never run as root.

 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?10
 > AIPS 1:                          31DEC03 AIPS:
 > AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Associated Universities, Inc.
 > AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
 > AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
 > AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
 > AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
 > AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
 > AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
 > AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

      Root does have the permission to run but it is not a good idea -
root can do anything so a program error could erase your system disk.
The absence of the /etc/services causes the other errors.

 > While the AIPS message gives:
 >
 > SGserver: Starting AIPS task logging, Unix (local) domain
 >
 > I am sorry for bombarding you with all these error messages.
 > Many thanks in advance for your help!

Better an excess of information than a lack of info.

Perhaps this will help.