[daip] help with "MAXPIXELS LOADED TO AP"

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 7 16:27:33 EST 2004

Tara Chaves writes:

 > My version is the 31DEC02 AIPS.  During the installation process, I
 > downloaded and compiled the recommended GNU 2.95.3 compiler, as per the
 > instructions at the time on the AIPS website.  I did have a fatal error
 > message during the compile but then I made some minor changes to some
 > files and it all went fine.  I later found these same changes on your
 > website under "patches".
 >
 > Oh, I also ran the DDT and Y2K tests after my AIPS installation and
 > everything seemed fine then.
 >
 > What do you think?

I remember getting these messages a lot as a consequence of the 2.96
compiler.  Can you cd to your $SYSLOCAL area and see which compiler is
actually used (read FDEFAULT.SH).  Then do

<full_path>g77 --version

If FDEFAULT is too confusing e-mail it to me

I do not see anywhere else that this message occurs.  Note that this
is a message that in principle cannot ever occur.  It does a histogram
over the windows, selects a level in that histogram s.t. < MAXPIXELS
are present and then loads those pixels --- and the message suddenly
claims that there are more pixels above that level.  We saw this a lot
with the 2.96 compiler.

I am guessing from your remarks on patches that you are on RedHat 9
which should be free of the 2.96 abomination.  The 3.2.2 compiler that
comes with it is okay so long as the last 31DEC02 patch is applied.
This leaves me confused....