[daip] minor problem with START_TVSERVERS

David A. Boboltz dboboltz at usno.navy.mil
Tue Jan 6 11:08:16 EST 2004

Hi,

I've recently installed the 31DEC04 version of AIPS on two
machines running the Fedora Core 1 version of Linux.  Not
much problem, except when I started AIPS, the TV, TK, and
MSG windows wouldn't start and I would get an error of the form:

XAS: cannot connect to X server machine_name:0
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: machine_name:0
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: machine_name:0

It took me a while to find a fix.  After comparing the
START_TVSERVERS file to an older version I found there were
an extra three lines of code:

#     elif [ "$TVDISP" = "$TVHOST" ] ; then
#        DISPLAY="${TVDISP}:0"
#        export DISPLAY

Which I commented out, and everything works OK.  I'm sure
the lines were meant to do something, so this probably isn't
the fix, but seems to have worked for me.

This error doesn't seem to occur on our older Linux (Redhat 7.0, 7.3)
versions running the 31DEC04 AIPS.

By the way, the one impenetrable military firewall (at USNO)
discussed on the AIPS web page is now running the MNJ :).

Dave

--
  Dr. David A. Boboltz

  Phone:  202-762-1488