[daip] FRING

Z.-Q. Shen zshen at shao.ac.cn
Mon Jan 5 09:14:27 EST 2004

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your diagnostic message. It is very helpful.

After some testing runs, I found the setting of APARM(4)=1 helps.
In this case, I used APARM(5)=1 to solve for multi-band delay over
8 IFs. This would increase the SNR for each spectral data point, right?
But I wonder if we can solve for single-band delay (i.e., APARM(5)=0 or 2)
with APARM(4)=1. I did try APARM(5)=2 and found more solutions
compared to APARM(5)=1 solutions, but these solutions seem to be not
good with quite large scattering. I did not try APARM(5)=0 because of very
limited SNR.

This is VLBA only observations at 3mm. Antenna 7 is OV. I suppose
that high SNR is related to the noise spike. The observing log said that
OV GPS Delta was drifting at - 0.1 us per hour. You also mentioned in
the VLBA Scientific Memo No. 25 that a common cause is when OV is
looking at the White Mountains. I wonder where is White Mountains
to the OV station.

I have another question regarding running FRING. This is about DPARM(4).
It is said that we should use DAPRM(4) to specify the correlator integration
time, which is 1 sec in my data. But when I accidentally set it to 2 sec,
I did not see any difference compared to the results from FRING with the
correct DPARM(4)=1. My question is how important is the DPARM(4) in
FRING.

Thank you and a happy new year to you.

Eric