[daip] SYMBOL?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 12 13:21:42 EST 2004

Ian Pattison writes:
 > After starting up AIPS and entering my ID number, when I enter any command
 > I get the message " AIPS 1: SYMBOL? ". Previously I was running AIPS when
 > my PC crashed, so I'm thinking something may have happened here.

In your first data area there are files called SGDuuunnn.uuu; which
are save get files.  The uuu is your user number, the nnn a sequence
number.  nnn = 0 is a directory, typically nnn = 001 is the LASTEXIT
file read as one starts and written as one ends.  For some reason this
gets damaged in PC crashes - it is not referenced in the abort handler
so I do not know why.  The save/get files should be 562176 bytes long.
Delete the one for lastexit and things should again be good.