[daip] installation problem with readline

Deborah Haarsma dhaarsma at calvin.edu
Fri Dec 17 08:31:52 EST 2004

Hi Wes,

The semester has ended, and we're back to trying to install aips on
the linux machine.  Below is the correspondence we had several weeks
ago.  Here's the latest:
1. I noticed that screen 10 of insall.pl lists where aips should look
   for the readline library.  The default is /usr/lib/libreadline.a, a
   file which doesn't exist on my linux installation.  I have
   /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.3.  I tried telling aips to use that, and
   got even more error messages.
2. I tried installing a new version of libreadline, but I'm not sure
   where to look for it on the web (we have virtually no support here,
   so I do all my own system work too).  I found
   readline-4.3-5.2.i386.rpm, but when installing it rpm said it
   conflicted with files I already have installed.

What can I try next?

Debbie

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Wes Young wrote:
> I think the best option is to include a more modern version of readline
> in the AIPS distro.  I will talk with Eric about adding it. To solve
> your short term problem, I would suggesting getting the latest version
> readline from gnu and installing it into /usr/local (there is an option
> in the install script to specify whether to install readline or use an
> existing copy).  You should check to see if libreadline is installed in
> /usr/lib, if not I can supply directions if you or your system folk
> need them.
>
> wes
> wyoung at aoc.nrao.edu
>
> On Oct 28, 2004, at 11:53 AM, Deborah Haarsma wrote:
>
> > A brand new linux installation of redhat 9.
> > Typing uname -a implies it is linux version 2.4.20-8smp
> >
> > Debbie Haarsma
> >
> > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Wes Young wrote:
> >
> >> It's likely the old version of readline distributed with AIPS doesn't
> >> recognize your newer machine.  What kind of machine/OS are you
> >> installing on?

> > On Oct 28, 2004, at 11:34 AM, Deborah Haarsma wrote:
> >
> > > AIPS experts,
> > >
> > > I've installed aips many times, including several times in Linux, and
> > > not encountered this error.  Near the beginning of install.pl it says
> > >
> > > AipsWiz:  =====> Configuring READLINE library...
> > > AipsWiz: Unpacking the READLINE.SHR archive...
> > > AipsWiz: Unpacking seemed to work.
> > > AipsWiz: Unpacking the RLSUPP.SHR archive...
> > > AipsWiz: Unpacking seemed to work.
> > > AipsWiz: Running Readline 'configure' in quiet mode, and then make...
> > > creating cache ./config.cache
> > > configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one
> > > make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> > > AipsWiz: Error: Either the configure or make step failed in
> > > AipsWiz: Error: /home/aips/31DEC03/LINUX/LIBR/GNU/.
> > > AipsWiz: Error: This means INSTEP3/INSTEP4 will not work.
> > > AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
> > >
> > > HOSTS.LIST has a line for LOCALHOST, with architecture LINUX.
> > > Why can't it figure out the host type?

Dr. Deborah B. Haarsma
office:  SB175
mail:    Physics & Astronomy Department