[daip] Re: [HelpDesk #13196] getting aips running

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 2 13:37:15 EST 2004

    Please use daip at nrao.edu

 >   i'll describe what i did. i am using a redhat 9.0 system. my machine's
 > name is alcyone.
 > there is a file named xyz.UVF in /space/jacqueline/dvd_e
 > on the terminal, i typed in
 > 1. setenv abc /space/jacqueline/dvd_e
 > 2. aips
 > the 3 windows (TV, MSGSRV and TEKSRV) showed up
 > then i typed the following in the terminal:
 > 1. task 'fitld'
 > 2. infile 'abc:xyz.UVF
 > 3. go
 >
 > this sequence of instructions resulted in a long list of errors on the
 > MSGSRV window. it looked as follows:
 > alcyon> FITLD1: Task FITLD (release of 31DEC04) begins
 > alcyon> FITLD1: Found MULTI  observed on 30-SEP-2003
 > alcyon> FITLD1: UV data will be written in compressed format
 > alcyon> FITLD1: ZCREA2: CREATE ERROR = 13
 > alcyon> FITLD1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA01:CBD002001.087;
 > alcyon> FITLD1: ZERROR: IN ZCREA2 ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)

    This message is rather explicit.  The account you are using does
not have privilege to create files in the AIPS data area.  Outside of
aips, type

whoami
groups

Then find out what privileges are required on the data area (had you
given all the messages I could tell you what that directory is).  The
startup messages in aips will tell you that

Eric Greisen