[daip] Problem installing AIPS (31DEC04)

Ross Macduff macduff at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 19 15:39:06 EDT 2004

Hi there,

I have encountered a problem installing AIPS on a Sun Ultra 1 workstation.  It
is currently running SunOS 5.9.

I am using install.pl to perform the installation.  Everything goes well up
until just after it asks to verify FDEFAULT.SH.  The problem occurs, I think,
when it runs the INSTALL script.  Here is the bit where it starts spitting out
errors:

AipsWiz: Unpacking the READLINE.SHR archive...
AipsWiz: Unpacking seemed to work.
AipsWiz: Unpacking the RLSUPP.SHR archive...
AipsWiz: Unpacking seemed to work.
AipsWiz: Running Readline 'configure' in quiet mode, and then make...
creating cache ./config.cache
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating doc/Makefile
Can't open ./doc/Makefile.in
creating examples/Makefile
Can't open ./examples/Makefile.in
creating config.h
cd . && autoconf        ## Comment-me-out in distribution
/usr/local/bin/autoconf: /usr/local/bin/autom4te: not found
make: *** [configure] Error 1
AipsWiz: Error: Either the configure or make step failed in
AipsWiz: Error: /aips/31DEC04/SOL/LIBR/GNU/.
AipsWiz: Error: This means INSTEP3/INSTEP4 will not work.
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::

Any light that you could shed on this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ross

--
Ross Macduff