[daip] AIPS help - TV

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 19 10:34:24 EDT 2004

WE do not have fedora (and may never have) so it is hard for me to
tell what is going on.  Note that binary versions of 31DEC03 are for
RedHat 7.2, a very old OS.  I would suggest downloaded the 31DEC04 tar
ball and building the system with install.pl.  You may use GNU g77
versions 3.4+ or 3.2.2 - do not use g77 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 unless you
must.  There have been undocumented reports of trouble with them.

Perhgaps a rebuild of XAS is all you really need:
I suspect the non-appearance of the TV (remember it comes up in icon
form) is related to changes in the XWindows system that a make on XAS
might fix.

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH)
$CDTST
cd $YSERV/XAS
ls

if empty area

sh ../XAS.SHR

then make

The slowness suggests that the system is doing name resolution via
some indirect path requiring mounting of non-local systems or some
such.  With the INET socket method internet name resolution is done
even when everything is local.  The tv=local uses unix sockets and
things are a bit different.