[daip] aips support

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 17 17:11:33 EDT 2004

Daniel Tafoya writes:

 > Hi, I am from Mexico, and I just installed AIPS in my Lap Top.
 > I had no problems until I tried to load an image to the TV (which is
 > displayed normally), I get the next error message:
 > >tvlod
 > ZSSSL2 connect (UNIX): Permission denied
 > AIPS 1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
 > AIPS 1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
 > AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
 > AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6
 > I would really appreciate if you could help me with this problem.

To be sure what is going on I would need to see all the messages
that get issued as you start aips.  What I suspect is that the various
daemons that need to run were unable to start - probably because the
services were not added to the system:

To quote INSTALL.TEX

The simplest thing to do is to copy the text below directly into the end
of the /etc/services file or its equivalent YP/NIS map:

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4
aipsmt5         5015/tcp        AIPSMT5
aipsmt6         5016/tcp        AIPSMT6
aipsmt7         5017/tcp        AIPSMT7

A laptop that is running aips merely locally can also use local unix
socket TVs as well.

aips tv=local

gets one of those.  Read HELP AIPS for details about the tv= command
line option (or man aips or CookBook chapter 2)