[daip] question about CDs and DVDs vs tapes in AIPS

RALLIS at mps.ohio-state.edu RALLIS at mps.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 5 13:54:59 EDT 2004

Is it reasonable to run AIPS for VLA data without a DAT or Exabyte tape drive?
That is, to use ftp, CDs, and DVDs to get and distribute data and to use
CDs and DVDs for backups? Writing the equivalent of a FITS tape on a CD is
then a two-step process: first use AIPS to write FITS images to disk outside
of AIPS and then write the set of files to a CD. A bit more cumbersome than
writing directly to tape (and takes up more disk space) but not necessarily
slower.

I plan to upgrade my computer and version of AIPS. As my exabyte drive is
reaching the end of its useful life, the issue is whether I should buy
a new tape drive for AIPS. Am I missing something here? Space Telescope and
Chandra send data on CDs and DVDs. Without a tape drive, is there still
an advantage to a SCSI disk?
                                             - Michele Kaufman