[daip] Re: Remote AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 3 19:18:12 EDT 2004

James Robnett writes:

 >   Eric,
 >
 >   Exactly how should somebody remote AIPS remotely via ssh if the
 > machine they're ssh'ing from doesn't run AIPS or even have access
 > to AIPS.
 >
 >   Is it as simple as
 > localhost>  ssh hostname
 > hostname> aips
 >
 >    Are there some environment variables that need to be set or is it
 > simply not an option.
 >
 >    In my test case the remote host attempts to ssh 'back' to the
 > localhost and run XAS which doesn't exist.
 >
 >    I took a stab at the AIPS docs but didn't see anything.

The man page, help aips (inside aips), and chapter 2 of the cookbook
(available from the aips web site in POstScript, html, or pdf) all
have the (same) documentation on the command line arguments that
control the TV.  In this case you must specify that the XAS is to run
locally but the display be elsewhere.  This can be done with internet
sockets:

   aips tv=tvdisp:tvhost

or with as many as 35 instances of Unix sockets

   aips tv=local

The latter depends on the $DISPLAY argument being set properly.