[daip] Question re: Classic AIPS compatibility with laptops/MacOS 10

Samuel Conner samuelconner at mail.arczip.com
Fri Apr 2 14:12:23 EST 2004

To Whom it may concern,

  I am about to purchase a laptop computer to use for mobile AIPS computing. I have been advised to consider installing the MacOS 10 operating system for general computing and programming, but I am concerned that this may not be compatible with AIPS.  I have been running an older version of AIPS under Mandrake Linux 8.0 on a desktop PC.

Two questions

1)  Are there any known issues regarding running Linux on laptops? I am completely ignorant of the nuts and bolts of Linux, but I fear that there might be display driver problems or other issues.

2)  a) are there any known issues regarding Classic AIPS under Linux on laptops?

    b) is Classic AIPS compatible with MacOS 10?

I thank you for your consideration of these questions and your patience with my ignorance.

Sincerely yours,

Sam COnner