[daip] RE: help with installing aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 23 19:20:08 EDT 2003

Piner Glenn writes:

 > No, it was simply not installed at all.
 >
 > So FYI, for people ordering Red Hat pre-installed from Dell, the machines come without
 > the needed X libraries, but those can then be installed later from Red Hat CDs,
 > which I just finished doing.
 >
 > By the way, it is unclear which compiler you are now recommending.
 > Do you recommend I go with the 3.2.2 which is on the machine, or
 > switch to 2.95.  At one point on the website it says 'NRAO now recommends
 > the default compiler (3.2.2), but later you also mention some errors with it.

I think we have now put in the work-arounds for the 3.2.2 problems but
have hit some trouble with 3.3 that cannot be worked around and i
suspect that 2.95.3 is too old for RedHat 9.  The RedHat 9 runs 2.95.3
modules compiled on a RedHat 7.2 system very well indeed.  But I
suspect that there would be lots of dire warnings if not failures (I
have not tried it) to build aips on a RedHat 9 with 2.95.3.  I suppose
I should try it but there are only so many combinations one can do.

Cheers,