[daip] Re: GCC 2.95.3 and GCC 3.3.1

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 18 10:41:54 EDT 2003

Kaj Wiik writes:

 > Just a quick note that 2.95.3 does not compile with 3.3.1 (Debian sarge).
 > What I did was
 >
 > apt-get install gcc-3.0
 > export CC=gcc-3.0
 > ./configure
 > make
 >
 > At least it compiled OK, the GCC folks should really sharpen up...
 >
 > I am going to set up a MNJ from here at ISAS soon..

I am not sure that I understand what you are saying.  We have
uncovered evidence that 3.3 has real and unsolvable problems.  The
only 3.2.2 problems that have been found so far have been addressed
since they are simply failures in optimizing.  I was about to try
3.3.1 to see if it has similar problems.

I assume that all development on 2.95.3 stopped years ago.  If there
is a C irregularity in it (and I seem to remember lots of warning
messages) then it may well not make on the most modern systems.
AIPS had a problem in a couple of places with refernces to "normal" C
external variables that are no longer allowed to be referenced in that
simple way.  I could see that code of the age of 2.95.3 might contain
such.

Cheers,