[daip] help with aips startup

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 9 18:15:11 EDT 2003

Cornelia C Lang writes:

 > One of our users here at Univ. of Iowa is not able to access
 > anything in his aips account suddenly (earlier today it was fine) -
 > after logging in, aips does not appear to recognize ANY command
 > we try to type at the prompt. The only clue I could find was that
 > during the log in it says that the command-line history was NOT
 > recovered. I am not sure if this matters. Other aips users with
 > different userids are having no problem running aips today.
 >
 > Any advice?
 >
 > AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history *not* recovered.
 > AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
 > AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

          The LASTEXIT save/get file must be damaged.  On the user's
disk 1 there will be files
      SGDuuunnn.uuu;
where uuu is the user number, nnn is 0 for a directory file, 1, 2, 3,
4, etc for save/get files.  1 is usually the LASTEXIT file although
the time/date on the files will provide a better hint.  Simply delete
the LASTEXIT one (and the directory is there is only 1 save/get file)
and all will be repaired - although starting with a virgin
vocabulary.

Cheers,