[daip] Problems installing 31DEC03

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 4 12:00:01 EDT 2003

Michael Dahlem writes:

 > I ftp'ed 31DEC03 and the install wizard install.pl from NRAO on
 > August 28.
 >
 > My machine is a stand-alone Inspiron 8500 laptop, Pentium IV
 > processor, plenty of memory and diskspace. I am running RedHat
 > 9 on it. It has a DVD/CD-RW drive, which I am addressing as
 > AIPS's tapedrive.

      Is that not more like a disk than a tape?  I would not expect
AIPS' Z routines to work on this device - but if they do please let me
know!

 > Below a copy of the installation log, starting with screen 11.
 > As you will see, everything looks normal up to the point when
 > the wizard is trying to execute the command

     Screen 10 is the most important.  But, please send me the
~/.AIPSRC file which will tell me a lot.

 > c xas.c
 >
 > Question: Am I making a mistake somewhere or is that just what
 > it appears to be, namely a typo in the installation script?

    No there is not a type.  It has used the info in the ~/.AIPSRC
file to edit the Makefile for xas.  But somehow the $ARCH for the
computer has been lost (as we will see below), so the Makefile does
not proceed correctly and you get this odd "compiler".

    One question - did you set LAPTOP to YES in LOGIN.CSH/.SH ?
If so is there a LOCALHOST in the list of hosts in HOSTS.LIST?  It is
probably better not to change LAPTOP to YES before the install.pl
finishes (despite the pause I added...)

 >     AIPS_ROOT (screen 3): /home/aips/AIPS
 >         Group (screen 4): aips
 >   Group Write (screen 4): YES
 > Architecture (screen 5): LINUX
 >     Site name (screen 5): ATCANAR
 >    AIPS hosts (screen 6): NARGUEST17
 >    Data areas (screen 7): /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/NARGUEST17_1
 >      Printers (screen 8): calaser1            PS      NONE  HP LaserJet 8000
 >    Paper type (screen 8): A4
 >   Tape drives (screen 9): host NARGUEST17, tape drive /mnt/cdrom: DVD/CD-RW
 > drive  Tape hosts (screen 9): 127.0.0.1
 >     Advanced (screen 10): (not listed here)

      If you type uname -n does it return narguest17 - always?  Or
does the 17 change depending on what day you plug in to the local
network?   That is what LAPTOP=YES is for but then your host is known
to aips as LOCALHOST.

 > /home/aips/AIPS/LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH define  = "NO".
 >      Change these to "YES" is this installation is for a
 >      stand-alone computer such as a laptop.
 > AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> when you are ready to continue.:
 > AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

     Up to this point it knows you are Linux properly but here
install.pl goes back to LOGIN.SH before issuing the make - so it has
lost the architecture if it now thinks you are LOCALHOST with no
LOCALHOST in HOSTS.LIST.  I should think if I can get around this
somehow....

 > rm -f *.o xas XAS
 > c xas.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [xas.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c image.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [image.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c comm.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [comm.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c cursor.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [cursor.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c screen.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [screen.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c init.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [init.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c colors.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [colors.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c catalog.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [catalog.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > xas.o image.o comm.o cursor.o screen.o init.o colors.o catalog.o -lXext -lX11
 > -lm  -o xas
 > make: xas.o: Command not found
 > make: *** [xas] Error 127
 > AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.

 > AipsWiz: About to run '/home/aips/AIPS/31DEC03/LINUX/SYSTEM/ATCANAR/MAKE.MNJ
 > 20030827'...
 > AipsWiz: This will generate a fair bit of output.
 > AipsWiz: Engaging MAKE.MNJ...
 >
 > sh: line 1: /home/aips/AIPS/31DEC03/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM/CDVER.SH: No such file or
 > directory
                                       ^^^^^^^
     Again the name...I think.

 > AipsWiz: Not good; no LASTGOOD.DOC found; did MAKE.MNJ fail?
 > AipsWiz: You should investigate this.
 > AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
 > AipsWiz: =========================================================
 > AipsWiz:  =====> start INSTEP2 and INSTEP4...
 >
 > This takes hours, is VERY verbose (lots of output).
 > It compiles the AIPS libraries (INSTEP2),
 > and then links the 400 or so AIPS tasks (INSTEP4).
 > We can start it now, or you can run it yourself later
 > (instructions will be given if you do it later).
 >
 > AipsWiz: ==> Shall I start INSTEP2 and then INSTEP4 here, now? [Y]:
 > sh: line 1: /home/aips/AIPS/31DEC03/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM/CDVER.SH: No such file or

                                       ^^^^^^^

In fact I am very sure that this is the problem.  Try adding LOCALHOST
as a LINUX machine in HOSTS.LIST.  Then check uname -n to see what
comes up.  It may not be guest number 17.  In which case, you can edit
~/.AIPSRC to change the host name to LOCALHOST.  Then run install.pl,
edit a new LOGIN.SH to say LAPTOP=YES and continue...