[daip] Trouble loading X-ray FITS file

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 2 13:02:08 EDT 2003

Chun writes:
 > Attach is the PRTTP file. I'm still getting these TAPE mount errors ( I
 > did comment all my tapes out of my TPHOSTS.LIST file ):

    What tape mount errors?  With the below you can only have remote
tapes not real ones.  This requires that some machine with a real tape
device also run aips.

 > >tape
 > AIPS 1: AIPS tapes on URSA
 > AIPS 1: Tape Device name            Description
 > AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
 > AIPS 1:   1. (remote)               REMOTE TAPE
 > AIPS 1:   2. (remote)               REMOTE TAPE
 >
 > There are also floating point errors:
 >  Note: IEEE floating-point exception traps enabled:
 >     overflow;  division by zero;  invalid operation;
 >  Nonstandard floating-point mode enabled
 >  See the Numerical Computation Guide, ieee_handler(3M), ieee_sun(3M)

     These are not errors - it is a list of enabled traps.  If one had
gone off then there would be an abort.

 > I have been able to load Radio FITS file (with the tape and floating point
 > problems before)
 >

 > SIMPLE  =                    T / file does conform to FITS standard
 > BITPIX  =                   16 / number of bits per data pixel
 > NAXIS   =                    0 / number of data axes
 > EXTEND  =                    T / FITS dataset may contain extensions

This says that there is no image - so there is nothing that AIPS is
expected to understand.

 > XTENSION= 'BINTABLE'           / binary table extension
 > BITPIX  =                    8 / 8-bit bytes
 > NAXIS   =                    2 / 2-dimensional binary table
 > NAXIS1  =                   60 / width of table in bytes
 > NAXIS2  =               149272
 > PCOUNT  =                    0 / size of special data area
 > GCOUNT  =                    1 / one data group (required keyword)
 > TFIELDS =                   18 / number of fields in each row
 > EXTNAME = 'EVENTS  '           / name of this binary table extension
 > HDUNAME = 'EVENTS  '           / ASCDM block name

The first table extension on this non-image is an events table -
listing each X-ray event.  Images may be constructed from such things
but not by AIPS.