[daip] Re: AIPS user number

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 27 10:32:25 EST 2003

Laura Richter writes:

 > I have just installed AIPS - the 31DEC03 release. I'm hoping to use if
 > for the data processing necessary for my Masters project on SiO masers.
 > My supervisor, Dr Athol Kemball, suggested that I request a user ID
 > number from NRAO, which will be valid at all AIPS sites. Would this be
 > possible?

I will forward your request to the woman who give out NRAO user
numbers.  These are "valid" really only at NRAO sites and often are
abused even here these days.  On a particular aips site - a desktop on
the user's desk - there is no reason not to use virtually any number
(except 1).  Users with their own computer use more than one number
in order to separate projects.