[daip] Re: Aips user ID number

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 21 11:10:09 EDT 2003

Claudio E. Tateyama writes:

 > I have installed the Aips on the Linux and
 > everything seems to have gone well.
 >
 > Now, when I start the Aips it asks for - user
 > ID number?.
 >
 > I simply do not know how to attribute this
 > ID number?
 > Did I miss some step on the installation process related
 > to this ID number?
 > Do I have to make a file with user name and ID number?

There is nothing speial about user numbers other than 1 which is
reserved for the AIPS Manager and which has a password when AIPS is
installed.  That password is widely known - AMANAGER - so you can even
user number 1.  Around here we have a formal list of user numbers
assigned by computer management that numbers in the 1000's by now.
However, on a user's personal desktop, the user may use any number
he/she chooses.  This helps people keep different projects separated.

On a computer that is shared between multiple people, the numbers keep
people from tripping over each other.  In that case, any such group
simply need to agree upon a set of numbers.