[daip] Problems installing 31DEC03

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 1 19:01:26 EDT 2003

Michael Dahlem writes:

There are several things strange below.  I think we can fix them with
rename (mv) and the like:

 > Another thing has come up that I cannot resolve. Unfortunately
 > I can't remember whether at the end of my installation of AIPS
 > I entered the package, but I think I did at least an mcat and
 > ucat, checking that the disk is seen.
 >
 > Now, after a couple of weeks, I wanted to start using AIPS for
 > data reductions and cannot enter properly. Below I send you
 > whatever I can think of might be useful. It looks as if the
 > disk is actually seen, but once I give my user-ID (do I need
 > to define that somewhere? I don't remember from earlier inst-
 > allations) I crash out.
 >
 > You will see below the error message that I receive. I also
 > add the contents of a few files. Do you know what might be
 > wrong?
 >
 > [aips at narguest17 ~]$ aips tv=local

     One would also want to test without saying tv=local

 >    (Using global default file /home/aips/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
 >     Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

        Normal

 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
 > START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
 > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
 > START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
 > ZDCHI1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND

    This is first serious error - see below for fix.  $DA00 should be
$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/LOCALHOST/ and that does not have an SP or any other
file.

 > ?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY localhost:0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1670 950, max grey level 255
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display localhost:0
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display localhost:0

        This looks good.

 > AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:PWD000000;          NOT FOUND

   More of the $DA00 trouble.

 > [aips at narguest17 ~/AIPS]$ ls DATA
 > LOCALHOST_1

         No problem

 > [aips at narguest17 ~/AIPS]$ ls DA00
 > DADEVS.LIST  NARGUEST17  PRDEVS.LIST  SPD000000;   TPHOSTS
 > LOCALHOST_1  NETSP       PWD000000;   TPDEVS.LIST

     I do not understand this LOCALHOST_1 directory.  I will bet that
the NARGUEST17 directory is filled with BA, PW, AC, etc files.  In
which case in DA00

ln -s NARGUEST17 LOCALHOST

What is in the LOCALHOST_1 below the DA00?

 > #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 > # DADEVS.LIST
 > #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 > # This is a DADEVS list file containing a list of AIPS data directories.
 > # Refer to $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH for more information.
 > #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 > +  /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

       okay
 > NETSP:
 >
 > #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 > # Disk name             TIMDEST   --------------Allowed Users-----------
 > /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1 365.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
 > /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1 365.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
 > /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1 365.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0

      Overkill - you could reduce this to one copy rater than 3 but it
does not hurt.

 > I have yes LAPTOP=YES in LOGIN.CSH and LOGIN.SH

I guessed this part - but you probably did the install first as
narguest17 and then tried to switch.  I have fixed up install.pl
rather recently to make the LAPTOP=YES easier and reliable but that
was quite recent (Sep 5 or so)

Summary - I think you are missing the DA00 which you can get by a link
file and then things should work.