[daip] Re: AIPS and Intel icc and ifc compilers

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 25 11:50:44 EST 2003

Michael Lindqvist writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Sorry to bother you but I have a question regarding AIPS and compilers:
 >
 > Have you tried to compile AIPS using Intels icc/ifc compilers? I have used for a Monte Carlo code
 > and it produce very fast code (Pentium 4) when you let the compiler vectorize the code.

          I gave it a try on a 30-day free license and it seemed to
work okay.  VTESS went rather faster but IMAGR a bit slower and so it
was more or less the same speed as the 2.95.3 gcc/g77.  Lawrence
Livermore reported that it made aips run 20% faster, the AT tests gave
results like ours.  The options for the compiler are in the case
statements in the scripts we ship.

You might look at compilers coming from IBM as well.  For the Mac
their compiler is 50% better than GNU - we have yet to try it under
Linux.