[daip] AIPS: adverb problem in APCAL

Emmanuel Momjian emomjian at naic.edu
Thu Nov 20 16:57:17 EST 2003

Hi all,

I am having a problem with a "missing adverb" situation in APCAL: in
AIPS I type
 >task 'apcal'
or
 >tget 'apcal'
after AIPS lists several adverbs, it reports:

AIPS 1: MISSING ADVERB: TRY A 'COMPRESS' OR 'HELP NOADVERB' FOR INFO
AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       TRECVR

I do "compress"
 >compress

However, after "compress", when I type
 >inp apcal
I get the same message of the missing adverb:
AIPS 1: MISSING ADVERB: TRY A 'COMPRESS' OR 'HELP NOADVERB' FOR INFO
AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       TRECVR

I also tried "RESTORE 0", but the problem stayed:
 >RESTORE 0
 >task 'apcal'
AIPS 1: MISSING ADVERB: TRY A 'COMPRESS' OR 'HELP NOADVERB' FOR INFO
AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       TRECVR

When I exit aips, restart it and type
 >tget apcal

I get:
AIPS 1: CHARACTER    8 BAD IN SUM.HLP
AIPS 1: BAD CHARACTERS IN ADVERB INNAME
AIPS 1: CHARACTER?

I am not sure if the missing adverb problem and the above message are
related, but when I re-call the UV file I am interested in and type:
 >getn 107
AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 2  user=2270   type=UV   BC132B_PASS2.NEW.1
 > inp apcal

I end up again with the missing adverb problem:
AIPS 1: MISSING ADVERB: TRY A 'COMPRESS' OR 'HELP NOADVERB' FOR INFO
AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       TRECVR

Would you please let me know how to resolve this problem.

Many Thanks,
Emmanuel