[daip] Some UID unusable

Chao-Shan Chen cschen at asiaa.sinica.edu.tw
Thu Nov 20 03:17:17 EST 2003

Dear Eric,
My colleague came up with an idea, to export FITS files ( lots of, in
batch,say FITTP ) to DVD/CD writer instead of traditional tape. Somehow
they prefer CD/DVD than tapes.

In this case, we need to try to simulate a 'virtual tape drive' and make
AIPS think it a real tape drive. The 'virtual tape drive' can be a unix
disk image file, or directly CD/DVD RW media.

Although they can first export fits to FITS area on hdd, them copy/burn
it to CD/DVD. But they always need to do lots of files and want to write
to tape devices directly in batch. ( Virtual tape drive, in his wish ).

Do you think this possible ? Or any comments?
Or can you direct me to something further?

Best
Joshua