[daip] DAT tape drive on HAMAL

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Nov 10 14:43:59 EST 2003

Hi all,

I'm sending this to two places, because I'm not sure where
the problem is.  I spent 45 minutes trying to read a VLBA
correlator output data set from the DAT drive on HAMAL.
The drive would advance x files if I told it too, but then
FITLD would just sit there forever with the tape drive
reading IDLE mode.

In despair, I finally tried reading across the network from
the tape drive on the next machine over.  That seems to be
working fine.  Therefore, my general conclusion is that this
is some sort of tape drive problem rather than an AIPS
problem.  But it may well be at the intersection of systems
and AIPS, so I'm sending this note to two places.

On the AIPS side ...
I did try killing and restarting the TPMONs on several
occasions.  I also note that HAMAL claims to have a
FILLM running that has been going since August 29;
not sure what that's all about.

Thanks for any illumination available.

Jim