[daip] JMFIT

Ian Pattison ip at ast.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 09:27:51 EST 2003

Using JMFIT I'm a little uncertain as to what effect the size of the
fitting regions has (i.e. setting blc and trc). For example when I use a
small box, of similar size to the source at it's 3 sigma level, I get a
deconvolved size of 0 in the minor axis. The source does look (fairly)
un-resolved (it's not exactly circular, like the beam). If I set the
fitting region so that it encompasses all the 3 sigma emmision and above,
then presumably I'm missing out all the emission weaker than this (though
it'll be hidden within the noise). When I use a slightly larger area I see
that the deconvolved axes increase in size, as I increase the box size.
How can I decide what the 'best' or 'correct' size fitting region to use
is?

 Ian Pattison

 Astrophysics Group
 School of Physics & Astronomy