[daip] Aips on Intel and AMD

Nanni Mauro nanni at ira.cnr.it
Fri May 30 04:15:28 EDT 2003

Hello.

In this days I have get up the  current release of AIPS to upgrade
our computer in Bologna Radioastronomy Institute,  about 60 PC in
nfs with linux RedHat 7.x, 8.0 and 9.0
I use the 2.95.3  gcc to compile, and I had a problem compiling in rh9.0
because the "ernum" modules was not found . This can be fixed with
a  -ldbsd  in LDOPTS.SH.  Compilng on rh8.0 the -ldbsd is not
necessary,  but the code do not run on rh7.x computer , and I decide to
compile -static that works on all the OS release.

Then I  run y2k to test the some computers and I have strange results:

RH 8   Intel  1000   Mhz    32 AipsMark
RH  8  Intel  2000   Mhz    75  AipsMark

And this is OK

RH  9.0  AMD   2000  Mhz   31 AipsMark
RH  7.2  AMD   1000  Mhz    11 AipsMark

That are low value for these computers that works fast in others
applications.

Can you help me to understand this. Can the "static" compilation
have a so hight impact in the performance on the different architectures.
We try to compile on AMD but we don't have better results ....

Best regards
M.Nanni