[daip] trouble with task 'split'

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri May 23 11:11:46 EDT 2003

bhenkel at haverford.edu writes:

 > I am trying to run the task 'split' and am encountering trouble with the
 > parameter 'nchav.'  It appears nowhere in the inputs for 'split' yet at
 > the end of my input list it reads "missing adverb: try a 'compress' or
 > 'help noadverb' for info; symbol?   nchav" which indicates that I need to
 > fill in a value for 'nchav.'  I tried both "restore 0" and the command
 > "compress" to obtain the latest context but neither helped.  Perhaps you
 > could give me an idea on what I'm doing wrong.

NCHAV is a new adverb.  The failure of a restore 0 or compress to
teach your aips this adverbs says that your aips manager has not
followed the instructions that he/she should receive with the midnight
job.  He needs to run POPSGN

   RUN POPSGN
   0 POPSDAT TST
   <cr>

outside of AIPS.  This establishes new vocabulary.  BTW there are
three more adverbs after NCHAV in the inputs to SPLIT - it does not
appear in the inputs display because it is unrecognozed and so its
type and value are unknown.