[daip] AIPS installation on IBM RS6000

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Mon May 12 09:55:46 EDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003 14:35:17 +0530 (IST), Jigar Raval <jigar at prl.ernet.in> said:

> Dear Sir,
> I am herewith sending you the file .AIPSRC. It shows nothing
> for FORT.

> Kindly read the file and tell me what should I do ?

First, figure out the name and location of the Fortran compiler on your
AIX system.  On AIX 3.2, this used to be /usr/bin/xlf, I think.  As Eric
said, we don't have any IBM systems at NRAO anymore (mainly for
price/performance reasons; Linux/X86 blows away most everything else).

Once you have determined what your Fortran compiler is, edit the AIPSRC
file with emacs or vi or your favourite text editor, so that the FORT line
says:

FORT = /usr/bin/xlf

(replace /usr/bin/xlf with the correct pathname for your system).

You may also want to set FORTOPT to, e.g.:

FORTOPT = "-qcharlen=10000 -c -u -qfips -qextname"

though I'd check your xlf documentation carefully to make sure these
settings are still sensible; we used these years ago for AIX 3.2.

Then I think I'd try to run install.pl again (Eric can correct this if I'm
wrong; it's been a little while since I used it).

				- Pat