[daip] catalog lists

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 17 15:49:30 EST 2003

Doug Ratay writes:
 > Hi.  We ran into a bit of a problem here with our catalog lists.  Someone
 > was trying to create a new data area in aips, and somehow when they did,
 > they wrote over the catalogs in a couple other data areas.  Basically,
 > what happens now is that when I use "indi 0; mc", I get the catalog for
 > disk 1 correctly, but disk 5 and disk 6 also give me the catalog for disk
 > 1.  If I try to grab a file from either disk 5 or disk 6, aips first tells
 > me that I grabbed a file from disk 1, but then if I look at the image
 > header, it turns out I actually have the file I wanted in disk 5 or 6.  I
 > can then manipulate the file from disk 5 or 6 anyway I want.
 >
 > Is there any way to throw the catalog that aips thinks it sees for disk
 > 5 and 6 out, and then to write a new one without taking all of the
 > files out of the drive and writing them back in?  We've tried to move
 > around some of the CAD*.* files, but to no avail.  Any suggestions.

This is sort of impossible!  There is nothing in the file names or in
the CAD* files that identifies disk number.  I will need to see your
$NET0/DADEVS.LIST file and any information about where the directories
really are.  There is nothing in aips that stops disk 1 and 5 from
being the same area although that will only cause confusion.