[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Mar 5 11:25:43 EST 2003

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
To: djilali.zidani at obspm.fr
Cc: aipsmail at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Subject: Re: [daip] Problemes with aips
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:24:23 -0700

zidani djilali writes:
 >    I have installed aips 31DEC02 on linux system  and
 >    31DEC03  on solaris 9 system. Its works OK.
 >    But when i want to execute them on the PC linux where aips is not
 >    installed or on the terminal X , I cannot start TV , I execute mcat and
 >    I dont see my catalogues. I have modified the file HOSTS.LIST with sign "="
 >    or "-" , it is the same problemes.
 >   It ask me the passwd aips of the PC where aips is not installed !!

Solaris and PC Linux systems are very different - they even use
different binary formats for the integers and floats (bytes are
reversed from each other).  This means that an installation for
Solaris cannot be used from a Linux machine.  Sitting at the Linux
machine, you can login a window to the Solaris machine.  In that
window set DISPLAY to the Linux machine and run

            aips tv=local

This will execute AIPS, XAS, etc on the Solaris machine but display on
the Linux machine.  You can also allow XAS to run on the Linux
machine

            aips tv=name

where name is the name of the Linux machine.

What you cannot do is share the data areas.  At NRAO we name the SITE
two things - NRAOAOC for Solaris and SGI and COAOARN for Linux and we
separate the DADEVS.LIST files into DADEVS.LIST for Solaris and
DADEVS.LIST.COAOARN for Linux.

It is dangerous to try to share the data areas - the one machine may
alter a file and prevent you from seeing the data from the other
machine.

Eric Greisen