[daip] Re: Help required

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 4 15:21:01 EST 2003

R.Ramesh writes:

 > I tried to install and run 31dec02 version of AIPS
 > in my LINUX PC running redhat 7.2
 >
 > The TV server isn't coming on and the following is the
 > message I am getting. I shall appreciate for your kind
 > help in this regard.
 >

 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on sundara, DISPLAY :0.0
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: **  No TrueColor found
 > XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory

    This is quite common on Linux systems.  The problem is that the
default XWindows setup is for 16 bit TrueColor.  This gives only 5
bits/color, not enough to do science in my belief.  You can change to
24(or 32)-bits TrueColor or to 8-bit PseudoColor and XAS will work.

To quote from the aips Manager FAQ on our web site:
      http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/index.html

This is seen most often on Linux systems. Almost certainly your X
Windows configuration is set to use a 16-bit display. The AIPS TV can
only support 8 and 24 bit displays (32 and 24 should be equivalent).
     Type "xdpyinfo | more" and if you see this:

             default visual id:  0x20
             visual:
               visual id:    0x20
               class:    TrueColor
               depth:    16 planes

     ... then this is the problem. If it says 8 or 24, then the TV
should work. If it says 16, then you should alter your X configuration
to allow either 8 or 24 bit display. You should use the supplied
tools, e.g. XConfigurator under Red Hat Linux, to do this; only edit
the XF86Config file directly if you know exactly what you're doing!

 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

If you ever need to run with Inet services you will need to define
these in /etc/services.  See the above web page for the text.