[daip] aips data, linux, ext2 => ext3

joe cammisa jcammisa at haverford.edu
Tue Jun 24 13:31:20 EDT 2003

greetings (eric, wes, et al).

we have an urgent need to upgrade our linux system from redhat 7.0 to
redhat 8.0; the only thing that is holding me back at this point is that
i am unsure of the safest/easiest way to migrate the aips data from an
ext2 filesystem to an ext3 one.  (unfortunately, i need to reconfigure
the raid array and thus can't keep around any disk partitions after the
fact; also unfortunately, i have been thus far unsuccessful in reading
an ext2 file system dump onto an ext3 filesystem).

ages ago, eric was kind enough to show me a means of moving data between
solaris and linux; this process involved creating a procedure within
aips, (run under each user number) that used the FITTP task to write the
user's data to disk (using the OUTFILE option).  in that instance, the
outfile was an nfs-mounted partition on the new system, from which a
parrallel procedure could be invoked that called FITLD on the files so
generated.  [see attached if my explanation is too garbled...]

my question is this:  could i not use a smiliar strategy to migrate my
existing data?  the only difference would be that rather than doing this
over nfs, i would write it to a local disk, archive it to tape, restore
from tape once the system is rebuilt, and *then* run the FITLD
procedure.  does this make sense?  does it sound feasible?  can you
think of a better way?

any insight you can offer would be hugely appreciated.  thanks in
advance for your time...

-joe