[daip] aips data, linux, ext2 and ext3

joe cammisa jcammisa at HAVERFORD.EDU
Fri Jun 20 16:24:13 EDT 2003

greetings (eric?).  i have a (hopefully) simple aips question.

my stituation is simple--i need to finally upgrade our linux server from
redhat 7.0 to redhat 8.x.  in the process, i need to migrate many gigs
of aips data as well.

my question is this--if i write all these gigs of data to tape (using,
say, tar, *not* dump), and extract them into an appropriately created
data area on the new system, is it reasonable to expect that aips will
recognize all of it without missing a beat?  could i even do this with
the aips software itself?

the reason for my paranoia, as you've no doubt guessed, is that redhat
7.0 uses the ext2 filesystem while redhat 8 uses ext3.  thanks in
advance for humoring me on this one...

regards,

-joe